Tuesday, March 8, 2011

RETNA HIEROGLYPHICS

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I was able to take pics of LA based writer/ street artist RETNA. He made his mark within garage level B3 inside the newly built Cosmopolitan Hotel in Las Vegas. "Wallworks Project" allowed artists such as Baltimore’s Shinique Smith, legendary New York artist Kenny Scharf, RETNA, and renegade-turned-icon Shepard Fairey paint the walls of the garage...all with different themes.

RETNA's unique style looks ancient but with a modern day feel to it. I can't make out the words but his artwork and symbols catch my attention. He was recently featured and had a solo exhibition of his work during NYC Fashion week in February 2011 at the "Hallelujah World Tour". I wouldn't mind his pieces to fill up a massive wall that I'll own one day. Keep doing your thing RETNA!!


Factory 413


Vagos y Reinas exhibit 2009
Photobucket
Photo src: Hypebeast

Hieroglyphics translation from Spanish to English:
We are the children of the stonecutters, the scribes
We stand on the line for finding our culture, breaking barriers
If you ride with me, I won’t leave your side
For years I wrote my name on the wall
I’m going to write you a letter from my street sounds
We look for the queens of an old time
We are the vagrants who have survived
For years I broke the law to find I lost my mind
The time has come for me to regain my consciousness standing on my feet
There will be days when my letters will light the path
Into my afterlife of my father until the end of time
-RETNA

No comments: